University Student Transition Resources
This list of resources is meant to reinforce learning and the skills needed for academic success in university. The following programs are available to all students attending Ontario universities.
This list is not intended to be all-inclusive, partly because universities regularly make adjustments to services.
Have questions or need more information? Contact the appropriate university directly.
- Free undergraduate tutoring and writing support services in a wide variety of academic disciplines.
- Drop-in hours and appointment times available throughout the academic year.
- Seminars and workshops on academic writing, avoiding plagiarism, referencing and citations take place throughout the year.
- Offers resumé and cover letter review, interview and job searching assistance, career exploration services and assessments, and mentorship programs.
- Offers 6 career fairs serving a variety of disciplines between both campuses.
- Provides networking opportunities with employers.
- Free pre-orientation program that helps you get a head start on preparing for the transition to university.
- Work one-on-one with our advisors to get personalized assistance with course registration and prepare for the start of the new year.
- Register or drop in.
- Located in the heart of the Thunder Bay campus.
- Find English-language classes and all international student services.
- Connect with other students in the International Lounge, where you can relax between classes.
Orientation Activities (Students)
- Participate in free, comprehensive, interactive and fun events at Orientation.
- Topics include: Academic success from day 1, accessing student support services, health and safety, and opportunities to get involved.
- No registration required.
Student Accessibility Services (SAS)
- Coordinates services and facilitates the provision of reasonable academic accommodations for students with permanent or temporary disabilities and/or medical conditions.
- SAS staff collaborate with students, staff and faculty to develop strategies for a successful learning experience while maintaining the academic standards and integrity of the University.
- A convenient way to conduct all academic business and receive the best advice on achieving an academic goal.
- Get help with course selection, navigating the student portal, myInfo and more.
- Dedicated Student Central Professionals are available to answer all your questions from the start of your academic journey through to graduation.
- Drop in and book a session on most days.
- Includes Orientation and transition programming.
- Connect with a Student Success Advisor to discover resources and strategies to help you achieve academic success.
- Connect with the Co-op Officer for support with the co-operative education program.
- Academic skills workshops: Note-taking and time management, reading textbooks effectively, exam preparation and study strategies.
- Free student support fairs that encourage and connect you with the wide variety of on-campus services available to support your success.
- Fairs happen throughout the academic year.
- Register in advance or drop in.