If you apply to an undergraduate program, you may meet the language requirements if you have successfully completed – or are in the process of successfully completing – 1 of the following:
- Four full years of study in English (or French) at an accredited high school in Canada or where English is the official primary language of the country, or
- Four full years of study at the high-school level where English is the primary language of instruction, or
- One full year of study in an accredited university degree program in English in a country where English is a primary language or where English is the official language of the institution, or
- Two full years of study in English, in an accredited college diploma or applied degree program in a country where English is a primary language or where English is the official language of the institution or
- successful completion of Academic Program Level 9, Destination York, or the YUBridge Program.
York reserves the right to request language proficiency test scores. All faculties require 4U English (ENG4U).
Note: Time spent in ESL courses will not be counted towards meeting these requirements. Language requirements will not be waived based on letters written by applicants, SAT/ACT scores or as a result of completing senior-level high-school English course(s).
For full details, visit the Undergraduate Language Proficiency website.
Language requirements for programs offered by the Faculty of Education are available by contacting the Faculty directly at 416-736-5001 or visiting the Faculty of Education website.
Les étudiantes out étudiants qui fréquentent une école secondaire de langue française peuvent présenter un cours de français de douzième année U (FRA4U, FIF4U ou FEF4U).
|Minimum TOEFL Score||
Most programs: 83 iBT
Lassonde School of Engineering (BEng programs): 88 with no score below 20 in each section
Nursing: 89 iBT
Schulich School of Business: 100 iBT
|Minimum IELTS Score||
Most programs: 6.5
Lassonde School of Engineering (BEng programs): 6.5 with no component below a 6.0
Schulich School of Business: 7.5
|Minimum CAEL Score||60|
|PTE (Pearson Test of English)||
Most programs: 60
Schulich School of Business: 76
|Other Test Scores||For full details, visit the Undergraduate Language Proficiency website. Effective May 2019, the York English Language Test (YELT) is no longer offered by York University. YELT scores remain valid for 2 years after the YELT test is taken. The last YELT test was offered on March 15, 2019, and scores from that test will remain valid until March 15, 2021.|