University Student Transition Resources
This list of resources is meant to reinforce learning and the skills needed for academic success in university. The following programs are available to all students attending Ontario universities.
This list is not intended to be all-inclusive, partly because universities regularly make adjustments to services.
Have questions or need more information? Contact the appropriate university directly.
Brescia University College, Huron University College, King’s University College
Academic Support and Engagement
- Academic Support and Engagement supports your academic, personal and professional growth. When you participate in our programming and receive support from our team, you:
- discover and develop your strengths,
- establish your academic identity,
- engage in leadership and learning opportunities and
- build the confidence and competence you need to thrive.
- Careers & Experience helps you deepen your academic learning and actively plan for personal and professional growth through:
- Health & Wellness Services provides professional and confidential services, free of charge, if you need assistance meeting your personal, social and academic goals. Services include consultation, referral, groups and workshops, and brief, change-oriented psychotherapy.
- Health & Wellness Services offers an appointment-based medical clinic for all registered part-time and full-time students at Western and affiliated colleges.
Student Affairs (King’s University College)
- Student Affairs is concerned with the quality of student life and learning outside the classroom. Some supports we offer include:
Student Life Centre (Brescia University College)
- Focuses on student development and learning at Brescia.
Student Life and Support Services (Huron University College)
- Focuses on student development and learning at Huron.
- The Scotiabank Career Accelerator Program is a multi-tiered program that enables you to earn a designation after completing training modules, workshops and hands-on experience that will distinguish you as a workforce-savvy, emerging leader.
- The Writing Services Centre supports your writing and communication development, as well as targeted academic course support through free, one-on-one writing and content tutoring guided by peer tutors, English-language learning specialists and graduate fellows.
Student Support & Case Management
- The Office of Student Support & Case Management helps students, who are experiencing challenges, thrive by facilitating a coordinated response at the individual and community level. We support students with navigating resources and making informed decisions.
Summer Academic Orientation (SAO) (Main Campus) and Other Transition Programming
- Through SAO, you will:
- Receive one-to-one course advising and personalized assistance with timetabling and course registration.
- Through Community Connections, you will:
- Meet other first-year and upper-year student leaders from your faculty.
- Learn about important campus resources and supports.
- Complete an individualized assessment to help you understand your strengths and areas of improvement pertaining to the academic transition to university.
- Through SmartStart, you will:
- develop and enhance learning skills and strategies.
- reinforce key concepts from high school courses to set you up for success in first year.
- Through the Academic Success Program, you will:
- be matched with upper-year peer leaders who provide mentorship, wayfinding and academic skills development.
Summer Academic Orientation (SAO) (King’s University College)
- SAO at King’s is a program for new students that runs from June-August each year. During this appointment, you will:
- learn about course selection, graduation requirements and support services available on campus.
- receive one-on-one course/program selection counselling.
- receive assistance with preparing your timetable and course registration.
Summer Orientation Days (SOD) (Brescia University College)
- Brescia’s SOD will prepare you for the transition to university. We want to help you and your family get a better sense of the changes, challenges and bold new experiences that await you in September.
- During your SOD, you will have the chance to learn about academic choices, student services and financial aid. You will attend a first-year course advising appointment to select your courses and map out your timetable.
Summer Orientation and Academic Registration (SOAR) (Huron University College)
- SOAR sessions help you select your courses for September, tour campus and acquaint yourself with faculty, staff and current students. Registration will begin in May for these sessions that occur in June and July.
- Through these sessions, you can learn more about residence, student life and all the resources available to you at Huron.
- Provides transformative educational opportunities for all students.
- Through intentional educational opportunities, Western contributes to a more supportive, inclusive and thriving campus that empowers you to achieve your full potential.
- Resources and education/training programs include:
- International & Exchange Student Centre
- English Conversation Program
- Global Cafe, where international and Canadian students connect, share and learn.
- Immigration, Visas and Permits
- International Orientation & Arrival Activities, including a Welcome Centre, where you can receive information and support from upper-year students and city resources for settlement.
- International Peer Guide Program
- International Student Advising
- Social Events and Trips
- International Learning collaborates with international partners and the Western community to develop, promote and support a broad range of activities that cultivate global-ready graduates, and a community of globally engaged faculty and staff.
- Global and Intercultural Engagement Honour
- Global at Home
- Go Abroad
- International Learning Funding Opportunities
- Leadership and Learning Opportunities
- Domestic and international student connections.
- Inter-cultural skill development for all students through volunteer and student leadership positions.
- Safe Abroad